I'm no pro but always happy to help! If you've got any questions or just need some unbiased opinions on your RC setups shoot me a message at: supatimhanstine@msn.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Another Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak Addict!

As much as I'd love to, I just can't fly my big gas birds every day.  Sometimes I've only got 10 minutes to spare due to work, life, weather, etc.  Smaller electric planes help feed the need, but even then those require more space to really wring them out and enjoy.  Up until a few months ago I had a sever case of "need-a-foamie-itis."  The perfect foamie always seemed to be just one more build away.  Either they were too heavy, too expensive, or just flew like crap!  Until now...


I was on Flying Giants a few months ago when the buzz of the ultimate foamy was just too much too bear.  I ended up pulling the trigger on the latest/greatest foamie to hit the market yet, the "Crack Yak!"  Until the maiden I just kept thinking what a stupid name it was, and why would they call it that?  Well Bobby Brown was wrong.  Crack ain't whack, it's amazing!


 This EPP kit from twistedhobbies.com was not only very complete compared to most foam kits, it also included all the necessary hardware and wood pieces.  I've built a few other kits that were a little less pricey but by the time you bought the necessary items it was almost double the money.  On the TH kit all annoying little slots were precut or marked.  All surfaces were prehinged and beveled for ridiculous rates and throws.  Most important is the kit was STRAIGHT and the 9mm EPP helped assure that all the way through the build.  In the past I'd used hot glue or CA to build foamies but TH recommended Welder's contact cement.  I'll never go back to CA again!  While the Welder's process makes it a little longer to assemble it's better in the long run in that it allows for a little "re-aligning" while it sets up, but still cures quickly.  Even better is that even when cured it remains flexible for those unexpected little bumps and bruises.


Once you've got the plane you're going to need power.  The easiest solution is to purchase the power package from TH but due to popularity is usually out of stock.  I am also pretty frugal (OK cheap) when I know I can save a few bucks and reallocate it to more batteries or a receiver or other great things.  There's 1000 ways to skin a cat but below is what I got and where.  I like to shop domestically as I think China warehouses can be a waste of money and time:


From Twisted Hobbies
Crack Yak: http://twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-EPP-Crack-Yak-55-Blue-Twisted-Crack-Yak-55-Blue.htm
Motor:  http://twistedhobbys.com/Outrunner-Crack-Series-24g-1450KV-Brushless-Motor-Crack-Series-24g-1450KV.htm
Prop Saver: http://twistedhobbys.com/Prop-Saver-Bands-HQ-5-Prop-Saver-Bands.htmProp: http://twistedhobbys.com/Prop-Slow-Fly-9-x-47-Tuff-Prop-SF-9x47.htm (buy 3-4)

From Hobbyking:
ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23606__TowerPro_9g_w12A_Brushless_Speed_Controller_USA_Warehouse_.htmlBattery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20415__Turnigy_nano_tech_460mah_3S_25_40C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse.html

From Hobbycool.com
Servos (x3): http://www.hobbycool.com/towerpro-mini-9g-servo-for-rc-helicopter-and-rc-airplane-p-190.htmlESC Plug: http://www.hobbycool.com/jst-connection-wire-l150cm-p-59.html


Bottom line is don't be afraid to tackle this build.  It was my first experience with welder's and took me about 5 hours including trial/error and waiting for glue to dry.  Take your time to make sure everything is straight and MAKE SURE TO CENTER YOUR SERVOS BEFORE YOU GLUE THEM IN!   My only deviation from the online instructions was the addition of landing gear.  For me it was worth the extra $20 for the ability to take off and land like a regular plane.

Flight performance is EXCELLENT to say the least.  Although the whole thing weighs in at around 6-7 oz with a battery it still carries momentum in and out of maneuvers.  Mine required only a click or two of elevator for hands off flight both upright and inverted at the recommended CG.  Flight times with the 460mah 3s pack are between 5-8 minutes depending on throttle management.  The only downside is that you're going to want more batteries as one flight is never enough!








No comments:

Post a Comment