I'm no pro but always happy to help! If you've got any questions or just need some unbiased opinions on your RC setups shoot me a message at: supatimhanstine@msn.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013

New year, new big bird!



A few months ago I stumbled across a deal I couldn't refuse on a 3DHS 103" Extra 330sc.  I've seen a few of these up close and just loved the way they looked and performed.  Even worse is that it's been team pilot Joe Smith's weapon of choice the last 6 months and after watching every video at least a dozen times I knew I had to have one!!!





Assembly was a breeze as 3DHS planes are not just designed, but engineered with all the proper hardware included in prelabled bags.  My weapon of choice was the newest version of the DLE-111 with a 27x10 Xoar carbon fiber prop.  This combo has been great in the past for me and now the 111 not only starts easier it also runs smoother with more power than ever!  



As for electronics I went with my trusty Hitec HS-7954sh on all surfaces.  I'm running dual 2300mah A123 packs for power and at 6v each servo pumps out 333oz/in!!  As HV/digital/steel gear servos go they are priced great with unparalleled performance.  AND if I ever wanted to run a 2s lipo pack they are all HV ready!  The receiver is a JR922x powersafe receiver.  Designed to provide serious current to high voltage receivers when they need it most, it was a no brainer.  One of the most important features to me is the "soft switch."  In the event the power switch fails the receiver fails in the ON postion rather than off like traditional switches.  Only took me wearing out one regular switch to realized how big a life saver this really is!


For the final touch I HAD to do some custom graphics.  I wanted to make sure to give the team out at B and E Graphix a huge shout out for their help making my dream 103 Extra 330sc/FOG eyesore come true! If you've ever used them you know how great they are as well as their website. If not, don't hesitate to check them out. The website provides the ability to customize any of their premade graphics to any size and color you can imagine and see it instantly on screen before you pull the trigger.  They've got a ton of predesigned packages but I really wanted something a little different based on a recover that Air Ralley did a few years back for their Huckfest. 










Lacking the skills to recover or cut my own graphics I shot them a message with a rough description of what I wanted to do. Even after regular business hours I received a quick "no problem" response email. I needed a logo made that they didn't have, "no problem." How about making a them 3 colors instead of just 2, "sounds cool, why not!" About a week later a nice thick tube of vinyl goodness arrived ready to go!  The vinyl is nice and thick and best part is they had CHROME!!! It's still January and dismal skies at best in Seattle but even so this baby glitters like a disco ball on the slow rolls. 

This is definitely a bird to be proud of and performance is amazing.  Now if I can just keep it around until "the big show..." 





No comments:

Post a Comment