I'm no pro but always happy to help! If you've got any questions or just need some unbiased opinions on your RC setups shoot me a message at: supatimhanstine@msn.com

Friday, January 13, 2012

HobbyKing Funfighters!


A few weeks ago I was up at Marymoore where I witnessed Robert's little white blur... Somehow I got bit by the go-fast bug but didn't know where to turn. Fast forward a few weeks to New Year's Day at Flaming Geyser and the sky was filled with these little monsters called "FunFighters" and from that point I knew I had to have one...
 
Long story short, USPS showed up with this bad boy and a half hour later she was ready for the skies! There are about 12 different warbirds in the series so knowing that anyone I fly with will most likely go with one of the classic US planes I opted for the BF-109 and the opportunity to rewrite history... Since it's receiver ready it was put together as quickly as it took the 2 4s 850mah nanotech packs to charge.
 
 
A quick peek at what's in the box. The fuselage and wings are one piece molded and painted EPO so it's just a matter of gluing tail feathers into the molded and cutout locations. Servos, motor, and ESC are preinstalled, elevator horns just needed to be glued in and connected. THAT'S IT!
 
 
Daylight couldn't come fast enough but when it did you better believe I didn't let the 28 degree morning hold me back! Although it only takes a 3s 850mah pack to fly, I opted for the 4s set up and all I can say is it is everything I'd hoped for and more! For a 3 channel setup it flies straight and smooth and at the recommended CG (50mm from leading edge) WOT flight is as smooth and uneventful as a creeping crawl.
 
So far today I logged 6 flights and am proud to say that not only is it still in one piece, it's put me into the 100mph club!!! Looking forward to all the high speed adventures to come...

2 comments:

  1. Are you still using the stock ESC? A lot of folks are reporting ESC failures on 4S, and I'd like to use the stock one if possible myself. Even ordered the same BF-109.

    Thanks!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan,
      Sorry for the super late reply. I literally have hundreds of flights by now on the stock esc on 4s and not a hiccup (yet.) Friends with some of the earlier models like the Texan have literally smoke them in flight, but I haven't had any issues other than having to replace an aileron servo.
      Best of luck!
      Tim

      Delete