I'm no pro but always happy to help! If you've got any questions or just need some unbiased opinions on your RC setups shoot me a message at: supatimhanstine@msn.com

Friday, June 15, 2012

DLE-35r and Slipstream RV8 from Valley View RC!




Hey there boys, thought I'd post a few pics of the new bird I maidened this morning with the new DLE-35r from Valley View RC!!!  We got the engine in on Wednesday afternoon at Valley View RC and promptly bolted it up to run it.  20 minutes of bench running and tuning later it seemed like we couldn't get a plane together fast enough to fly this new beast!



There's a few other threads on the engine itself so I won't bore you with that.  Instead here's a few pics of it on the new Slipstream RV-8.  The "build" was quick and painless and although the bolt pattern is as little different than the DLE-30, the standoffs and general dimensions are the same.  Angled plug fit between the down tubes of the stock muffler and the whole thing was a slam dunk.  One more neat thing on the 35r vs the 30 is there is a precast choke slot/guide on the right side of the engine.  Made a manual choke geometry stupid simple!




First flight was ridiculously smooth.  Even on a first flight the DLE-35r idled smoothly at around 16-1700 rpm with a 19x8 Xoar Sword.  Top end rpm was 7700 on the ground and unloaded who knows?!  I have a stack of planes I've stashed away waiting for an engine like this and now that I know it's an absolute brute, it looks like it's time to dust them off..

  Lift off was about 1/4 throttle and vertical was unlimited just above half!  The RV-8 is comfortable at both high and super slow speeds with no bad stall habits.  The flaps aren't necessary for landing but incredibly effective. I snuck in 5 flawless 10 minute flights before it was time to go.  The last few flights the engine picked up a few rpm so I know it'll be a quick break-in.  Having flown a DLE-30 I can easily say it's a smoother, sleaker DLE by far, not to mention the extra "grunt" from the extra displacement.  It's not my typical style of plane but I have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot more of me with this baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment