I'm no pro but always happy to help! If you've got any questions or just need some unbiased opinions on your RC setups shoot me a message at: supatimhanstine@msn.com

Monday, June 25, 2012

Gary Weaver's Field 2012 Fly In!


SupaTim here just checking back into reality! I can honestly say I've never experienced anything like the weekend at Weaver's field.  Located in Othello, WA (about 4 hours away from me) I knew if I was going to make the drive I'd better make it worth it!  Packed to the brim in a borrowed trailer (thanks Tom Denney) and pulled by a borrowed RV (thanks Mom and Dad) I was on my way all by myself for 3 days with no kids or distractions (thanks to my super awesome wife!)



First of all it's not a club field, it's one amazing guy who had the dream of creating the best place for him and his buddies to fly!  It's an amazing spread and my only complaint is that my feet are sore from having to wear shoes again as I spent most of the weekend barefoot on the hard packed fairway grass... The "pits" were lined with longer softer "soft rough." It was tough to not just lay down in it and take a nap every time I sat down to take a break from almost nonstop flying!
 

The range of planes was probably the most unbelievable part of the trip. I've never even seen a Moki Radial running in person let alone 2 at the same time!!! Top shelf planes lined the runway the whole length of the field. Here's a few of my favorites but there were so many HUGE warbirds both composite and scratch built as well as 24 ft. + gliders, giant scratch built cubs, and much much more! BTW the Shrike in the pics below was electric and swung twin 24x10 Mejlik props, and could climb indefinitely...
 



The full scale hangars were multipurposed. Stocked with spare props, every tool you could ever need for both RC and full scale, as well as a full kitchen they were always a buzz with activity. Even during a 15 minute freak monsoon/hailstorm they were instant shelter! At night the "energy efficient" rolled their birds in so they wouldn't have to break them down. "Chef Mike" was on duty making the best breakfast $5 could buy as well as lunches for anyone who needed burgers and dogs on the grill! It truly was an all inclusive weekend.
 

Part of what really made the weekend was the hospitality of all that were in attendance.  Gary and friends welcomed me as a stranger with open arms and after a brief demonstration that I wasn't just a knuckle dragging 3D guy I knew I was welcome to come back!  Pro Bro Steve made it out and I'm glad he did. He brought our new mascot and we all had such a good time it wouldn't have been the same without him. He probably ripped more flights on his 42% Raven this weekend then he did all last year!
 

Gary Weaver was kind enough to extend the indefinite invite to all who came. I can guarantee It won't be the last time I go over there and the next time you guys are definitely invited and have to find a way to make it out! BTW there's plenty more pics and video to come and LOTS of high res of the Mokis...

No comments:

Post a Comment